Religion in a class

Started by NJDfire , Jun 01 2016 08:06 PM

Best Answer Pandette , 02 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

History and Religion is too closely taught.  HOM teaches about the history of some religions, but it does do the following which is why we have religion banned in global and other locations:

• Say that christianity is correct and accurate
  • state that people should believe it
  • attempt to convince people to convert to it
  • say that it is the only way of looking at the world
  • say that anyone who has x view is going to be condemned to a horrible fate.

The reason religion is banned is not in order to keep people ignorant of religion, it is to give everyone to freedom to be who they are and believe what they want without someone else trying to convert them to a different view.  In this case it is simply discussing what was not attempting to convert people or even say it is correct.  If the course stated "and the christians were right and all the gays go to hell because of it" or "and you all need to believe in this because its the true way" then it would be an issue, but this is simply the history and imho, everyone should KNOW what other religions are out there.

tl;dr: the no religion policy is to keep the community happy, not to have people be ignorant for the sake of ignorance. Knowledge is power.

Go to the full post

• This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

NJDfire
  • NJDfire
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 67 posts
  • IGN:Skallent Grant

i am in History of Magic & their was something about Christianity i know it was not a very important thing but their is a rule which i will quote now Knockturn is a zero-religion zone as well as a zero-prejudice zone" i understand that this is a little thing but i do think that staff should follow their own server rules

-Skallent Morrison

Elsa Ollivander
  • Elsa Ollivander
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Student
  • 672 posts
  • IGN:Elsa Ollivander

Don't we learn about the Greeks and the Romans and the Babylons in class? If we're going to learn about Greek and Roman gods and goddesses, I do believe it's okay to mention the Christian God once in a while. Again, this is just my opinion.

Crane
  • Crane
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

Culture and Religion are closely related....
Discussing a period of time or a culture without talking about their religio9n at that time will give you at most half of the picture... It is essential for understanding it..

Besides let me quote the sentence right after the one you quoted.

"Knockturn is a zero-religion zone as well as a zero-prejudice zone.  You can discuss these things, but you cannot practice, make clubs for, or in any way push your beliefs on anyone else."

I am pretty sure the professor had more than a valid reason for discussing the subject of Christianity.

TL:DR; You can discuss religion but once it turns hostile/into an arguement and you keep going or you start trying to force it onto people you are in trouble...

TheStartreker
  • TheStartreker
  • Student
  • 771 posts
  • IGN:Star Thestral Holmes

I agree with Elsa, but thats my opinion. I personally don't believe in some beliefs such as Christianity and the greek gods and stuff, maybe other people don't either. Its not like they're forcing you to believe in it, simply just talking of it. You are not being forced to walk out into the street and shout "Hallelujah Oh Lord!" Or anything like that XD 

Lisa Flume
  • Lisa Flume
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Administrators
  • 414 posts
  • IGN:Lisa Flume

I have not witnessed the lesson you are referring to here, but its something worth taking note of so your comment is appreciated.

I do also believe there is another lesson in Astronomy that includes a topic about creationism that should be looked at.

Again, I have not seen this HoM lesson, but there is a way to have polite open-ended conversations about anything, so maybe just the mention of Christianity in a history lesson is not enough to cause waves as we are just stating the fact that these religious ideas exist. We're not preaching that someone should or should not believe in these ideas, just stating that they exist out there and that some people do believe in these ideas.

I believe this could be looked into, but as Liam has mentioned- learning about a culture without acknowledging its religion could take away considerably from a lesson. There's a difference between discussing topics and sharing views about topics.

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts
  • IGN:Andrew Arima

The topic is on gods of ancient civilization, and the Christian God is brought up briefly stating that this is not the God we are referring to. Not once does it go into any detail with Christianity, in fact, it goes out of its way to say that is NOT what is being discussed.

NJDfire
  • NJDfire
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 67 posts
  • IGN:Skallent Grant

Okay maybe I went a little over the top here but i do still think that some lessons should be looked at but that is just my opinion thanks for listening :)

-Skallent Morrison

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

Best Answer

History and Religion is too closely taught.  HOM teaches about the history of some religions, but it does do the following which is why we have religion banned in global and other locations:

• Say that christianity is correct and accurate
  • state that people should believe it
  • attempt to convince people to convert to it
  • say that it is the only way of looking at the world
  • say that anyone who has x view is going to be condemned to a horrible fate.

The reason religion is banned is not in order to keep people ignorant of religion, it is to give everyone to freedom to be who they are and believe what they want without someone else trying to convert them to a different view.  In this case it is simply discussing what was not attempting to convert people or even say it is correct.  If the course stated "and the christians were right and all the gays go to hell because of it" or "and you all need to believe in this because its the true way" then it would be an issue, but this is simply the history and imho, everyone should KNOW what other religions are out there.

tl;dr: the no religion policy is to keep the community happy, not to have people be ignorant for the sake of ignorance. Knowledge is power.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users