Ever want to be part of lessons? Here's your chance to write some!

Started by Pandette , Aug 04 2016 02:42 PM

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

Hey everyone!

We are looking for nice new people who want to write lessons on the server.  We are in the midst of 2nd year lessons and we need fresh faces & new ideas and people willing to toil away and write some lessons.  We already have a few dedicated writers, but we really want to move on to 3rd year, which is going to be much more time consuming.  So to get there, we are requesting people who think they have the ability to write to submit an example of your writing below in the following applications:

Name:

IGN:

Year:

Sample of Writing:

All new writers will be approved by Katna Garland!

What does this give you besides being an awesome writer for us?  Notice! We will see you are doing your best to help out the server and we will be able to say: x y and z did so good, they probably are mature enough for this.  Also, new friends & a new teamspeak badge that will give you access to the writing work shop in the staff area!

So kick that writers block in the butt and lets get going on finishing these lessons!

Pandette

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Professor
  • 789 posts
  • IGN:Katna Malamius - Poisin_Kat

If you want to write a lecture, here are the few requirements to do so.

• Must be at least 800 words long - This is before the quiz
  • Must be uniquely written, I should not be able to find the site you used
  • Must use proper capitalization, spelling, and grammar

If the lecture is based off of canon / real Harry Potter content, please make sure it follows the rules of it, but if needed, you can add or extend the lecture. Ie, Spongify is an actual canon spell, but the story behind the creator was completely made up.

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Professor
  • 789 posts

In the spoiler is a list of every class that needs to be done.

Spoiler

Make sure your lesson is on this list, and that you have claimed it.

When you are done with your lecture, follow these steps.

1. Use Wordcounter.net to find the word count, if 800+, continue to Step 2

2. Go to pastebin.com and create a paste

3. Send it to me!

Meow_Magic
  • Meow_Magic
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 127 posts
  • IGN:Meow Scarlet

Name: Meow Scarlet

IGN: Meow_Magic

Year: 5

Sample of Writing: Jason's End (a myth I wrote for Latin class on how Jason died)

Jason was running for his life as Slwyth was swiftly chasing after him. Its poison tipped tail made deep, smoking marks in the abandoned temple's columns that had become Slwyth's home. Slwyth was quickly gaining so Jason took the risk and ducked behind one of the columns and held his breath. Slwyth paused and scanned around the room with its  one pale blue eye for the escaped prey.

Slwyth turned its head quickly towards Jason's hiding spot as Jason was slowly pulling his sword out. Slwyth paused to pick up its forest green top hat with its tail and put it back on top. Jason let out a dangerous sigh of relief that confirmed his location. Slwyth slid quickly to Jason's hiding spot!

Jason yelped in terror and tried to use his sword to pry Slwyth off of him! Jason's sword was quickly knocked out of his hand by Slwyth's tail as if it was a rag doll. Slwyth wrapped its long tail around Jason's seven times which made it harder for Jason to attempt escape.

Slwyth gently bit into Jason's neck with its posion fangs. The poison quickly dripped into Jason's mortal veins. Jason kept squirming more and more as more poison ran through his body. Slwyth didn't seem to like this so it dug its deadly fangs deeper. Jason tried to use the last of his strength to push the horrible monster off, but all his strength had abandoned him. Jason was no more.

Logan Walsh
  • Logan Walsh
  • Muggle
  • Student
  • 3 posts
  • IGN:Logan Walsh

Name: loganondorf

IGN: Logan Walsh

Year: 1

Sample of Writing: (from a short story I wrote) 

The tombstones squatted beneath an ancient maple, five of them humped in the darkness.  Stephen knew they’d had corners once, sharp edges that cut them from the rest of this overgrown cemetery, but those had dulled with time, worn down by rain, and hail, and wind.  In another setting, perhaps near a roadside or in a pretty park, Stephen might have mistaken them for oddly large rocks.  It was only here, lined up on either side of the larger parent tombstones, that one would understand that they marked holes in the ground.

“Gram’s aunt. Died at birth,” Camden said, picking his way past the small mounds of limestone.  “And her Aunt Lucille, here.  Mom said Lucy always had a thing for Gram’s older brother Dean.  You’ll meet him tomorrow too.”

Stephen attempted a smile from his position a few yards back from the tombstones.  He watched Camden slip between his family members, brushing the low-hanging leaves of the maple away from his head.  He seemed so relaxed here, his now-sloping shoulders losing the rigid shape he held them to every day in Youngstown.  Nothing was rigid here, of course.  Stephen was privately convinced that the West Sunbury of Camden’s childhood was synonymous with placidity and slack.

“And this is Walter, Gram’s granddad.”  Camden leaned against the larger of the parent tombstones, patting the rock where a name was still mostly legible.  “He and Hope had eight daughters, but six died really young.  There should be more of them here, but one of them got buried in another cemetery because they didn’t get to baptize her before she died.”

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Professor
  • 789 posts

@Meow_Magic and @Logan Walsh, you two are accepted with your highly depressing stories.

Please tell me what classes you would like to write from the list above, make sure they are at least 800 words long.

Logan Walsh
  • Logan Walsh
  • Muggle
  • Student
  • 3 posts
  • IGN:Logan Walsh

@Katna Garland I'll take both Astronomy lessons for now. I can pick up some more later, if these go quickly!

Meow_Magic
  • Meow_Magic
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 127 posts
  • IGN:Meow Scarlet

@Katna Garland I shall write about Professor Snape. I will take another if this doesn't take a while and if some still are open then :D

StaceyChaø
  • StaceyChaø
  • Professor
  • 518 posts
  • IGN:Stacey Longbottom

Name: Stacey Booth
IGN: staceychao
Year: 5
Sample of Writing:

An explosion was heard. I couldn't bear to witness another death. I got off the couch and sprinted towards my sister's room. She looks at me with concern and relief, happy to see that I was still well. We hugged. "Will it ever end?" I asked in a shaky voice filled with fear. "Hopefully Eliza," my sister said while massaging my shoulders, trying to relieve the tension. It seems like eternity watching the blinding light, hearing the screams of those, and the smelling of burning flesh.

The sun rose, exposing what remained of the city below us. Living on a mountain has its advantages and disadvantages. We don't get bombed, but what is seen can make anyone breakdown. The burnt down buildings, bones, and the horrible stench still in the air. I see people crying next to what seems like a relative or friend. Three days have gone by being bombarded over and over again. It will soon be wiped off the planet if this continues.

Our mom barged into the room. As soon as she saw me, she fell to her knees and started crying. After we calmed her down, she revealed to us that our father died while he was at the shop looking for an anniversary gift as it had been their two year anniversary being together. She had warned him not to go, but he is persistent and knows what to say to get what he wants. We didn't know what to say, so we just sat and cried to ourselves wondering if there was still hope.

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts
  • IGN:Violetta Arelle

Name: Lost Delacour

IGN: Lupaa

Year: Two

Sample of Writing:

​(Presenting.. *Drumroll* Lost's Potion's Homework!)

​Darkness wrapped around her like a blanket. The trees towered up all around, casting long shadows over the damp ground. A short Ravenclaw with stood in the middle of the darkness, small pink scrapes covering her arms and a dimly lit wands clutched hard in her hand. Her pearly silver hair almost seemed to glow in the pale light of the moon. A howl echoed in the distance. The hairs on her arms stood up in fear, and her mis-colored eyes flickered up towards the sky. Of course. The moon shone bright and full. The werewolves claimed this night. Cautiously making her way forward, she padded over the damp leaves underfoot with a light step. With a flick of her wand, she whispered, "Lumos." A white light emitted from the end of her wand. Of course she didn't need her wand light to know what was around her. The Forbidden Forest alone was scary. The fact that it was midnight and she was alone? Terrifying. She drew in a small, shuddering breath before continuing onward. Oh, such a brave idea it was to go out in the middle of the night. Her rebellious Ravenclaw friends had dared her to go into the forest unaccompanied. Sneaking out, going into the forest alone... it wouldn't matter that she'd taken the dare if she wound up dead. She shook her head, swallowing hard as she tried to clear the negative thoughts out of her head. A sudden flicker of movement at the edge of her vision made her jump, her body stiffening in fear. She pointed her wand where the rustle had come from, but all was still. She didn't want to be out here anymore. She spun around and made her way -- quite quickly -- back towards where she came from. A small high-pitched noise rung in her ears and she looked back over her shoulder, dazed. Sucking in a sharp breath, she choked. There, behind her, stood a grotesque face shining in the dim light of her wand. It's face was oddly pointed and held a long nose. The creature gave her mixed emotions of repulse and fear as it cackled away in the darkness. The creature slowly crept forward, closer and closer... so what did she do? Grabbed her trusty ol' Collapsible Cauldron and hit it over the head.

Bjor
  • Bjor
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 69 posts
  • IGN:Bjor Vargr (Antler)

Name: Bjor Vargr
IGN: Antler
Year: 3rd
Sample of Writing: (I just kind of typed up a fake report on werewolves)

Werewolves have been hunted, feared, and stigmatized for hundreds of years. Somewhat rightfully, as before the discovery of wolfsbane potion, werewolves had no control over their lupine state. A single werewolf could slaughter a large number of wizards should it be turned loose in a village, and god forbid one made it's way into a muggle village. It'd take large parties of wizards to fight off a single werewolf in it's transformed state. Instead, it was often easier to attempt to find the werewolf in their human form, but this often lead to witchhunts and unnecessary death. From all perspectives, werewolves brought death and destruction, but those who contracted the disease themselves suffered the worst. It wasn't until very recently that werewolves found some solace in the form of Wolfsbane potion, but even now the stigma still lingers heavily over them, causing many to go into hiding or join packs for support.

What makes lycanthropy, or werewolfry, so deadly isn't what it causes it's victims to transform into. The deadliest part of lycanthropy is it's nature as a disease. As a disease, lycanthropy is beautifully designed to be deadly. Every full moon, the host is transformed into an aggressive wolflike beast with an unquenchable bloodlust. It wont hesitate to attack those it loved, including spouses and children. While the werewolves have no control, they remember everything they've done, causing severe emotional trauma. The saliva of a werewolf spreads the disease, so when someone survives the attack, they're only doomed to the same life as their attacker. In many ways, death is more merciful than living with lycanthropy, leading some attack survivors to beg for death rather than be treated. The treatment, powdered silver and dittany, doesn't cure the disease, it only seals the wound which would otherwise cause the victim to bleed out. Because of this, it's uncommon for muggles to survive werewolf attacks, as they don't know how to treat the bite.

However, contracting lycanthropy in modern times isn't nearly as bad at it once was. Damocles invented the Wolfsbane potion, which allows werewolves to transform but keep their sane minds. With the creation of the potion, the outlook for werewolves changed drastically. No longer did the victims have to dwell in the shadows, fearing for those around them as the full moon approached. They could lead mostly normal lives, as long as they had the galleons to afford the potion. However, this has done little to reduce the negative association werewolves have. As recently as 1993, anti-werewolf legislation has been passed to discriminate against werewolves. While this has been repealed since then, werewolf registration and the Werewolf Code of Conduct show that the Ministry still fears werewolves, and werewolves still fear the Ministry. Werewolf Support Services went totally unused, and the Werewolf Capture Unit, while inefficient at capturing werewolves, somehow retains it's funding.

Werewolves still live bleak lives, but as lycanthropy is further studied and Wolfsbane potion is made more readily available, attitudes are beginning to change. For werewolves, it's becoming easier to obtain jobs and live with society. As more people come to view werewolves as victims of a disease rather than bloodthirsty hunters, they'll have an easier time re-integrating into society, and werewolves like Greyback, who knew nothing of hate and thus turned to hate, will slowly dwindle away. Possibly, with enough treatment, lycanthropy can even be eradicated.

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Professor
  • 789 posts

All of you are accepted, please let me know which classes you will be taking

StaceyChaø
  • StaceyChaø
  • Professor
  • 518 posts
  • IGN:Stacey Longbottom

@Katna Garland Arania Exumai

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts

@Katna Garland Lumos Duo (Possibly the Introduction to Charms, if the first one goes well)

Bjor
  • Bjor
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 69 posts
  • IGN:Bjor Vargr (Antler)

All of you are accepted, please let me know which classes you will be taking

Dark Magic's Effect on the Soul

When should these be finished by the way? 

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Professor
  • 789 posts

@Katna Garland Lumos Duo (Possibly the Introduction to Charms, if the first one goes well)

Could you possibly take another one besides for Lumos Duo? Because I wrote it just before you claimed it... Sorry

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Professor
  • 789 posts

@Bjor , finish them as soon as you can, but no rush.

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts

@Katna Garland It's all good. I can do the Introduction then? and are we just helping to write the classes or will we be teaching them as well?

Katna Malamius
  • Katna Malamius
  • Professor
  • 789 posts

@Katna Garland It's all good. I can do the Introduction then? and are we just helping to write the classes or will we be teaching them as well?

Yea, that will work. Get on IRC and ping me when you do, I'll need to talk to you for the intro. Right now we're asking for students to help write the lectures for the Professors to teach. If you become a Professor, you can teach them as well.

- You may get galleons for lectures

Pansy Hagrid
  • Pansy Hagrid
  • Squib
  • Student
  • 12 posts
  • IGN:Pansy [Calpernia] Hagrid

Name: Pansy Hagrid

IGN: Calpernia

Year: 2nd

Writing Sample:

Giants have been known as incredibly hostile and braindead creatures. However, this can merely be considered a stereotype. Like how all Purebloods hate muggles and all muggleborn are not as capable wizards as halfbloods and purebloods. It is as simple as not every giant you encounter will act the same way. Surrounded by each other, giants have the tendency to attack each other. If in the presence of a wizard, they can become suspicious and wary. However, there is a great deal of history behind these actions, one that shows that perhaps giants have their reasons for being the way they are.

During the first wizarding war, many giants sided with the dark lord and comitted terrible atrocities against muggles. As a result, Aurors from the Ministry of Magic were sent to hunt down and kill these giants. Unfortuanetly, the Aurors had a great deal of sucess. Giants were driven far from society, and many to this day have a burning hatred for wizards and witches. However, this does not mean that all giants refuse to accosiate with humans. I'm sure many of you know of Rubeus Hagrid. Half giant, half man. The result of a human male and a giant female interacting for a long period of time.

Giants are capable of magical use, and so long as magic is not used to hurt them they can be welcomed to it's use. As for their level of intelligence, they are significantly smarter than the troll, and have shown capability to speak English like you or me. It's very unfortuanate that their history has allowed many to go on barbaric hunts for them, even if they try to stay away from humans. Giants are vastly misunderstood creatures, who are merely trying to assure the continuation of their species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users