Started by Viøletta , Aug 21 2016 08:41 PM

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts
  • IGN:Violetta Arelle

When you first spawn into the entrance of the Leaky Cauldron once leaving Professor Oak, you have a wand ticket, the guide, the list, cauldron cakes, berties botts, etc.

Here's what I think should be updated in that ::

The List - The list looks like a little slip of paper. It tells the new student that they need certain books and equipment for brewing. While this is a nice feature in the aspect of roleplay, it can end up confusing the new player. They read the list and end up spending longer than necessary in Diagon Ally and wander around, searching for everything on the list. I think the list should be altered or removed from the starter inventory.

The Guide - This really needs to be updated. It does somewhat help, but its more informing than guiding them through the steps. Sometimes when newbies spawn in, they read the guide and immediately think, "Oh, I need a broom." or "I need to get a pet!" When really, these are not required of them and can be purchased later on if they desire. I think the guide should be updated as soon as possible, and maybe have sections. There could be a section of How to Get Started and another Informatory section. The first section could explain how to go back to the wall and go into Diagon Ally. It could guide them into Flourish and Blotts to get their Spellbook and explain that that one is required of them and the other ones can be purchased if they will. The Informatory section could be things such as explaining how to play Exploding Snaps, how to ride a broom, how to make money, how to use floo and the floo words, etc.

Berties Botts (possibly) - Soo, this doesn't really have to be removed, but in some cases when the newbies are being guided by Helpers, they eat these and in some cases they may die. This can be a problem when they go to the Hospital Wing and then they get confused and us Helpers or a Staff member has to go get them, which can also cause us to lose them because they run off. This can be a bit of a hassle but then again, it's a rare occasion so it doesn't necessarily need to be changed.

Another thing that could be helpful for new players is possibly having a command that could display links to the tutorial videos. The links that could be displayed is the one of Fance teaching how to cast, the guide to the forbidden forest, how to earn money, etc. This would be easier so that they could have access to the links whenever they wanted and would be more convenient. There could also be a general link posted for the forum. (I'm not sure if this is already a thing but putting it in anyway :3)

I hope these ideas are put into consideration because it would be a great help. If needed and if these ideas are accepted, I'd be willing to help out with updating these things. <3

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

These are good ideas.  Maybe a group of people could get together with a list of stuff they think should go into the starter book & we can keep a page on the forum with a copy of it that can updated when its out of date.

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts

That'd be great! Me, Sean, and Elsa were actually talking about this yesterday and I think they would be willing to help out with creating it, along with me too. :3

Tiberius
  • Tiberius
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 97 posts
  • IGN:Tiberius [Tiberius_04] Everhart

I agree as I usually end up having to give the noobs the links to the forums, youtube channel, and FAQ and have to teach them how to use certain commands

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

Well if people want to create a list of stuff to go in the book, I can update it

FlareFritz
  • FlareFritz
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 119 posts
  • IGN:Fritz Ignis

@Lunaris I was just thinking about this yesterday too lol, I'm willing to pitch in if you would like.

Mira Goshawk
  • Mira Goshawk
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Student
  • 605 posts
  • IGN:Mira Goshawk

I will help in any way I can! ^_^

Crane
  • Crane
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

I really like the idea of going through our starter items and reworking them, and maybe we could make it so /help displays links to different videos showing things or even click-events that tell a little

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

I really like the idea of going through our starter items and reworking them, and maybe we could make it so /help displays links to different videos showing things or even click-events that tell a little

@Crane check ur fb messages dude it important af.

Ninja__Bob
  • Ninja__Bob
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 121 posts
  • IGN:Sami Starling

I'll help aswell :D This is a great idea btw :D But where do we post the list?

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts

I'll help aswell :D This is a great idea btw :D But where do we post the list?

Ah, I'm planning on re-writing it (if that's okay) and also adding in things from the current guide so if you could message me a list or put it onto a document and link it to me, that'd be great. :3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users