Alert

Tier Locking by year

Started by Pandette , Oct 25 2016 02:39 PM

• This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

Poll: Year tier lock (58 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for having year lock or not?

1. Yes (39 votes [67.24%])

Percentage of vote: 67.24%

2. No (15 votes [25.86%])

Percentage of vote: 25.86%

3. I don't care (4 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

Vote for how to implement the tier lock.

1. Simply add year lock on tiers. (22 votes [37.93%])

Percentage of vote: 37.93%

2. Remove tier lock and add year lock (2 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

3. lower successrates too (3 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

4. Leave it alone (11 votes [18.97%])

Percentage of vote: 18.97%

5. Soft year lock - Proposed by Liam (20 votes [34.48%])

Percentage of vote: 34.48%

Vote

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

Hey everyone,

It has come to my attention that many people feel it's not fair that a lot of smaller years are casting spells that are far about their year, and they want to lock tiers more by year than by tier.  Here are a list of proposed changes, and also feel free to state any additonal ones below.  If we plan to do this, we may also move apparate to a higher tier than six (the original idea for tiers was that 1 tier per year but that isn't really the case and i have been planning on adding more tiers than 15 for a bit of time now.)

IF we lock by years:

y1: max tier: 3

y2: max tier: 5

y3: max tier: 7

y4: max tier: 9

y5: max tier 11

y6: max tier 13

y7: max tier 15

(I will also be adding more tiers eventually comin' down the line so there will be more to achieve for graduating students.  This is just the start.)

How to implement?

• Simply add year lock on tiers.  Continue to have individual tier levels so that students have to gain something to get to those tiers at least.
  • Remove tier lock and add year lock
  • Remove tier lock, add year lock, and make success rates lower in general bc they are too easy.
  • Soft year lock - Success rate is dropped a lot so that players have a very low chance of improving spells above their years. - proposed by liam

More suggestions are encouraged!

Malia SHSL Memelord
  • Malia SHSL Memelord
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 212 posts
  • IGN:Malia McGonagall

It could encourage more players to year up.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

It could encourage more players to year up.

Thats what the people who suggested it indicated.

Crane
  • Crane
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

I like the tier lock a lot. if anything having a "soft year-lock" like a drop in successrate or a harder one would be most fitting.

(If you can take the pain, you can cast anything, but it should be the far better choice to year up)

Bob Titan
  • Bob Titan
  • 829 posts
  • IGN:Bob Titan

I like Liam's idea but lock it as well. So then like tier 3 is max for year 1 but it is also easier for a year 2 to cast that tier.

Harry King
  • Harry King
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 175 posts
  • IGN:Harry King

I like the tier lock a lot. if anything having a "soft year-lock" like a drop in successrate or a harder one would be most fitting.
(If you can take the pain, you can cast anything, but it should be the far better choice to year up)

I like this, because it isnt too harsh, but it also forces players to try to year up

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts
  • IGN:Andrew Arima

I agree with Liam's idea, and I think it should definitely stack with how far above your year you try to go.

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts

I vote Apparate should move to like Tier Nine. If you think in the books and movies, Apparition is hard, harder than making a bright light or sticking someone in the ground, so the tiers should reflect that.

Draco
  • Draco
  • 605 posts

Andrew, despite this, that's very unfair for users who already have it wandless and such, but haven't completed Tier 9, just as it will be YET another spell to try and accomplish again.

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts

Andrew, despite this, that's very unfair for users who already have it wandless and such, but haven't completed Tier 9, just as it will be YET another spell to try and accomplish again.

Time for a logic check! If you have 10k casts in Apparate and it gets moved to T9, and tiers are acquired at 1k casts, *gasp* you would already have T9! And I know what comes next, "What if you only have T7?" Spam up a single tier to 8 and you can use it again? Remember, the point of this is because people are getting too high in tiers at a low Year. Bear in mind also that Apparate is equivalent to a long range infinite Ender Pearl, tpa, and infinite sethomes. I think a fair amount of work is a fair trade given the rewards.

Veara Titan
  • Veara Titan
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 403 posts
  • IGN:Veara Titan / Veara_

Time for a logic check! If you have 10k casts in Apparate and it gets moved to T9, and tiers are acquired at 1k casts, *gasp* you would already have T9! And I know what comes next, "What if you only have T7?" Spam up a single tier to 8 and you can use it again? Remember, the point of this is because people are getting too high in tiers at a low Year. Bear in mind also that Apparate is equivalent to a long range infinite Ender Pearl, tpa, and infinite sethomes. I think a fair amount of work is a fair trade given the rewards.

I want to make the point that moving Apparate to Tier 9 will make Tier 9 a breeze for a lot of people, as Apparate is cast quite a lot. I can POSSIBLY see it being a Tier 10 spell, though.

Draco
  • Draco
  • 605 posts

Andrew, I already have Tier 9 completed.. xD @whiteNnerdy234

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts

Andrew, I already have Tier 9 completed.. xD @whiteNnerdy234

The "you" was hypothetical. :P

@Veara Titan, but then T10 will be a breeze and T10 is harder than T9. :P

Draco
  • Draco
  • 605 posts

Yes, but if it was a Tier 10 spell, then people would have to fight through tier 9 to get to it, thus kind of making your point redundant, and partially not so. But lets just see how it goes \o/

Veara Titan
  • Veara Titan
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 403 posts
  • IGN:Veara Titan / Veara_

The "you" was hypothetical. :P

@Veara Titan, but then T10 will be a breeze and T10 is harder than T9. :P

Then how about this: Not making Apparate count towards leveling your Tier up? As it is, in the canon universe, Apparation isn't a spell, but the way we have it set up is that it IS one, because that's the best way to do it on a Minecraft server. But since Apparate isn't REALLY a spell, why make it count towards leveling up in Tiers?

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts

Then how about this: Not making Apparate count towards leveling your Tier up? As it is, in the canon universe, Apparation isn't a spell, but the way we have it set up is that it IS one, because that's the best way to do it on a Minecraft server. But since Apparate isn't REALLY a spell, why make it count towards leveling up in Tiers?

I feel like that would just be more work than necessary. I see what you mean about people being able to breeze through T9, and I get it, you want people to have to work for it like you had to and others, but T9 in comparison to any higher tier is not a problem.

Bella Scarlet
  • Bella Scarlet
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1275 posts
  • IGN:bella

btw guys t10 is already much easier then t9 soooo yea 

Jew
  • Jew
  • Squib
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • IGN:JewJewish

I think that a year lock on tiers would DESTROY a certain play style of: "I want to be good at spells without going to classes." Some people prefer the play style of I want to be a high year. I do believe that there should be spells locked to a year which would encourage people to level up so they can access certain spells. But that's my 2 cents I don't think anyone cares.

Umbreon Yuuki
  • Umbreon Yuuki
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 254 posts
  • IGN:Umbreon River Yuuki - UmbreonQueen

I feel like that would just be more work than necessary. I see what you mean about people being able to breeze through T9, and I get it, you want people to have to work for it like you had to and others, but T9 in comparison to any higher tier is not a problem.

I have an idea. Make it tier 15 that way only Y7 can cast it , kind of close to the books/movies and it doesn't make of easy to get to a higher tier because they're isn't one ATM.

Ecool1604
  • Ecool1604
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Professor
  • 35 posts
  • IGN:Roran [Ecool1604] Spiritus

What about The Year 1's who are already above tier 3? And year two's above tier 5, etc.?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users