Alert

New method for non-verbal

Started by Pandette , Oct 25 2016 03:09 PM

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer. (59 member(s) have cast votes)

Non-verbal preference.

1. Leave it as it is (10 votes [16.95%])

Percentage of vote: 16.95%

2. I want this change! (49 votes [83.05%])

Percentage of vote: 83.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

Hey everyone,

I wanted people to vote on this because I think it effects everyone.

Currently Non-verbals work like this:

Around 3k casts (more or less) you are able to get a non-verbal, but each individual non-verbal has to be leveled.

Pro

• Spells are all worked for
  • Dueling is more unique

Con

• People with non-verbal curses are SCREWED
  • Non-canon > Doesn't make sense that after aquiring non-verbal you wouldn't get better at it.
  • Doesn't let you 'level non-verbal'

Proposed Change -

Non-verbal will be set to a higher cast level (around 5k casts) however, once your OVERALL spell casts (calculated from the tiers) reaches a certain point ~ 30k, the required non-verbal level for a spell will decrease, making it so people could even get it to the point that they would be able to non-verbal a spell without practicing it (because it would be based on non-verbal level which would improve with casting.)

Pro

• Canon since people improve ability with spell ability
  • Allows people to improve on non-verbal
  • Non-verbal cursed people aren't screwed anymore since they also can improve non-verbal rates.
  • Allows non-verbal to be more considered a rate of growth
  • Allows non-verbal to be more regularly used in duels and in higher duel tiers.

Con

• Less unique spell training for duels.

So the choice is yours !

Personally I think the change will really improve non-verbal as a skill and make it less painful and more dynamic for people.

Draco
  • Draco
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • 605 posts

Just a question, but wouldn't this make Nonverbally gifted people like myself and Bella, have our gifts become obsolete?

Crane
  • Crane
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

I already said it:

I strongly support this idea.

And for you guys out there saying "But I worked so hard to get where I am with my nonverbals" -

Shush, don't intentionally make it harder for others cause you want to be better.
Nonverbal or not you still have your spell counts and they are still extremely strong. 

And - this system is more canon and more realistic so. :3

Edit: @Draco
So if you had nonverbal as a curse then it would probs be at about 5500 to begin with. (not coding, don't take numbers seriously)
cast a few thousands more than others and boom, 5k like the rest.

For nonverbal gifts? 4500 maybe? you get a head start, woo.

As most spells has caps, Gifts are already obsolete when you train hard enough.
They only provide a head start until the tryhards catch up.

taroshixela
  • taroshixela
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 84 posts
  • IGN:Taro [taroshixela] Chambers

So lower tier people would lose their current NVs?

LukeS
  • LukeS
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 157 posts
  • IGN:LewkTHEsheW // Luke Schoenheit

Would "over-all" casts be all the casts you have on /profile, or just on your wand, or the ones you have casted to tier up?

Bob Titan
  • Bob Titan
  • 829 posts
  • IGN:Bob Titan

The way that I think this should happen is the NV count should be lowered once they have 20,000 not 30,000. My reason for this is because for the normal user you need 6 NV's to lower it and by then you have all the NV's you want in that tier so 4 NV's at 20,000 is better, that is my opinion. 

Harry King
  • Harry King
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 175 posts
  • IGN:Harry King

The way that I think this should happen is the NV count should be lowered once they have 20,000 not 30,000. My reason for this is because for the normal user you need 6 NV's to lower it and by then you have all the NV's you want in that tier so 4 NV's at 20,000 is better, that is my opinion.

I agree, and i have another suggestion
The amount needed for NV lowers very slightly each cast you have, but not so much that a new person can get NV at 4.5k because their requirement went down 500 while casting

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

Just a question, but wouldn't this make Nonverbally gifted people like myself and Bella, have our gifts become obsolete?

No all people who are gifted / cursed will still exist, but it will be reduced for the ppl gifted so where 5k is the medium you might be like 4.5 k ish

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

So lower tier people would lose their current NVs?

No, it will mean nv will start 2k up more than they do now but any nv you did on a spell is not lost, some ppl might need to go a little further.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

Would "over-all" casts be all the casts you have on /profile, or just on your wand, or the ones you have casted to tier up?

it would be how many casts you have in tiers ie: if you have cast 1k in tier 1 and 2k in tier 2 you have 3k casts.  So any spell, its just easier to base off tiers bc it requires less db calls.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

I based this on the amount of casts people have in the db, so it wasn't random.  Originall I was gonna make it like 100k then I looked thru current data and 30 k is much closer to what people are when they start being 'good at spells'

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

I agree, and i have another suggestion
The amount needed for NV lowers very slightly each cast you have, but not so much that a new person can get NV at 4.5k because their requirement went down 500 while casting

I don't agree, mastering nv the first time should be difficult bc it means the person has control over their own mind to the point they can make a spell cast without speaking it.  Also, as I said to bob, I am basing this of the data in the db.  Some people have over 200,000 casts.  I think 30k is quite reasonable based on levels in the db.

Veara Titan
  • Veara Titan
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 403 posts
  • IGN:Veara Titan / Veara_

Overall, I just like the idea of this. This seems like a great idea, and it makes getting a nonverbal less static, and more dynamic. 

But a question: At around how many casts would you be able to cast any spell non verbally?

HaliaBoo
  • HaliaBoo
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 292 posts
  • IGN:Halia Barnes/Savage/Malfoy (LittleBooCreeps)

Seems like a good idea even though I'm one of those people with a NV curse xD

OllieOllivander
  • OllieOllivander
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 257 posts
  • IGN:Ollie Ollivander

I personally love this idea, I tend to spell spam a lot but it doesn't feel like im getting enough out of it. I'm personal already way past the 30k mark so this will help me. I do agree with bob tho that it should be lower. to a noob 30k does seem like a lot. 

Katherine <3
  • Katherine <3
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 145 posts
  • IGN:kathvocado

I think this is a pretty good idea. It's probably just because i'm one of those nonverbally gifted people but it would make people want to work harder to cast spells. I'm pretty sure I'm around 15k myself so imma be keeping on working on my spells.

Bob Titan
  • Bob Titan
  • 829 posts

Wait, it's 30k per tier or 30k in general?

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

Wait, it's 30k per tier or 30k in general?

30 k in general.

Bob Titan
  • Bob Titan
  • 829 posts

Ohhh okay thanks for the clarification. I had thought it was each tier that is why I suggested that.

TheStartreker
  • TheStartreker
  • Student
  • 771 posts
  • IGN:Star Thestral Holmes

I like this idea, I think it is, as was said, better for the people with nonverbal curses. *hides in corner* There's my input...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users