20 replies to this topic

Jew
  • Jew
  • Squib
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • IGN:JewJewish

My perspective: As a year 1 tier 9 I know I might seem biased in this, but I think in my position I am the best to talk about it. I am representing what I think to be an unspoken minority. The people who like to spell spam but don't enjoy classes. The year lock supports the play style of going to classes (obviously) which in my perspective at least right now classes are boring and annoying. The year lock supports the play style of going to classes whether it exists or not. People who like classes will not be affected by this change. People who like to spell spam, however, DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE! We are an unrepresented minority who don't get a choice in the say of the matter either way. One way we get what we want the other we don't. They get what they want either way. I think it would benefit everyone if we didn't have a year lock.

Bella (Keep in mind a Year 7 Tier 12): okay I'm a year 7 t12 player so yea the year lock doesn't screw me over at all but doesn't matter people don't like to go to classes for reasons or they can't get to classes at all cause teachers don't teach when they get on so they are stuck to only a few spells and not being able to play with other magic and see what they like me I never liked going to classes cause I know all they do is copy and paste what's down in the class schedule cause I did it but I also changed it up some to i made classes fun which atm no teacher does if I was in jew spot I would hate it to why stop a playstyle people like doing some people love classes some don't why force the people who don't like classes to go to them this isn't real life its a game people shouldn't be forced to do something they don't like

Anonymous user on Discord (Year 4, Tier 2; Doesn't like spell spamming that much but agrees with me): Learning/classes aren't everyone's strong suit and maybe spell spamming/spells are. Taking that away is kind of inconsiderate. https://gyazo.com/50...910e26d815dc8c1(proof I'm not just making it up)

HarryB
  • HarryB
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 37 posts
  • IGN:HarryB

I agree with u, I feel that this tier lock has taken away joy for people who do not enjoy classes, but enjoy spell-spamming.

Katherine <3
  • Katherine <3
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 145 posts
  • IGN:kathvocado

Wait wait wait, can someone translate for me what Bella said? because i want to understand both Jew and Bella but I am like legit not kidding. I cannot read what Bella said and cannot make sense out of it. By the way Jew, good job on making your post readable to the owners :D

Crane
  • Crane
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

Bella was saying that a) professors doesn't teach enough in her opinion and b ) they are not making it fun.

I would disagree in that. We had around 15 professors being whipped and stressed out to teach all the time untill they flat out quit. I like the pace here because people seem to be able to manage both fun and professor duties. We just need more people here.

As for the fun? We all teach differently. And there has been quite a few naughty kids around so I understand the stricter professors.

I know the spellspammers out there who doesn't attend classes will get hit hard but seriously. Up untill tier 9 is what? Year 4. That is not completely unreasonable. Maybe classes is not for everyone but regardless you are attending a school to learn, not to sit in the ff casting alarte as a first year. We have always been trying to keep mechanics here canon and realistic and this is more of a "roleplay skill lock". Your skill is somewhat based on what year you are in roleplay and now the spells are literally confined to a lock.
I did propose the soft lock cause it would make it possible for those who never attend classes to get better but fact is that the most simple of solutions might also be some of the hardest things to balance. And it didn't gain majority.

I am sure that if this turns out to be just a horrible as you guys think it would be then it would probably get tweaked or replaced. That is what it is about. Trying to improve the experience on the server and that is very much trial and error as well as based on the community :)

GerryBlackthorn098
  • GerryBlackthorn098
  • Muggle
  • Student
  • 3 posts
  • IGN:Gerry Blackthorn

I completely agree, I cant become part of a family because of the year lock :( And just to add to Jew's point, I don't like going to class, but i like to spell spam, which now i cant do to my fullest ability. i used Spell spamming as a stress reliever, from the harsh reality of school and ugh GCSE ;-; and now i cant do that either, you guys have ruined the one of few reasons i come on this server. 

Ecool1604
  • Ecool1604
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Professor
  • 35 posts
  • IGN:Roran [Ecool1604] Spiritus

I'm kind of on edge. Both sides make sense to me, and they both have different purposes. I understand the server is about being "canon", but I also understand other people's frustration.

I am a year one, tier one, almost tier two, so it doesn't affect me much, and I do enjoy class. But it's okay for a server to be unique and not 100% spot on.
I think the owners know what we want, and will try to keep everyone in mind. (Hopefully)

I don't know why I'm posting this. I will probably get yelled at.

Fire Taylor
  • Fire Taylor
  • Muggle
  • Student
  • 1 posts
  • IGN:Fire_Trident

I Agree With What _Bammm_ said (#2 comment) = I agree with u, I feel that this tier lock has taken away joy for people who do not enjoy classes, but enjoy spell-spamming.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

The problem with your argument is you ARE a minority, and this IS a roleplay server.  One of your arguements was 'Not everyone likes to do things they don't consider fun in a game.'  As said before, if thats the case perhaps this server isn't your style.  Especially considering you have been caught macroing the spells before, it makes me feel even less willing to believe your argument, because you are saying you find spell spamming fun, but you didn't even do that until after you macroed.

Now you will say 'well I earned them back legit'.  Earning spells back when you have the ability to do spells without backfire is not legit if you earned the original with macro.

The year lock encourages the roleplay to be more realistic, it encourages people to not macro, since there is less reward, and it encourages LESS trolls, which Jew, you have used these spells TO troll.

If you ACTUALLY love the server, you would want to participate.

Also, it infuriates me when people call classes boring when we put SO MUCH EFFORT into making them as interesting as possible.  Professors work so hard to do classes, so hard to keep them going, and YOU have in the past made their efforts even harder by trolling the classes. By effort I mean it takes an hour to write 1 class ~, 1 * 14 * 8 = 112 hours flat for first year alone, add in slow writers who take 3 hours, and rewrites which takes up to 8 hours, and you have a crap ton of time, and the total lack of respect for what has been created for classes legit makes 90% of the people you try and tell you're upset about not even listen to you.  "classing are bori-" yea ok, go away.  You don't respect the people who have made the server's time.

If you wanna say 'well I like spells and you made time on that'  You ALSO don't respect my time due to your macroing past.  So that argument is dead. You have no respect for the people on the server no matter how you contribute.  Your respect has been for trolling & making staff's life miserable having to deal with you being bratty.  Additionally, other people whom you kill or attack with spells despite the rules.

So honestly, this sounds like a troll upset he lost his toys to me, since you use all these spells to kill people in the FF.

Additionally, your argument loses all credibility when you actually throw a tantrum and 'quit' the server due to not getting your way.  If the vote had gone the other way, I believe everyone who didn't get their tier by year lock would have dealt with it.  However, because you didn't get your way, you threw a tantrum in global, threw a tantrum to me, threw a tantrum in discord, and now are throwing one here.  You won't listen to me no matter what I tell you, so this writing is not really for you jew, but for everyone else to see this point.  Because I know when you're done reading this you will not drop this, and you will keep going, and that is the type of immaturity that won't let anyone take you seriously.  The majority of the server voted for tier lock, the majority of the server made a decision on it, and the majority of the server wanted it  It's not going to change until a majority decided to change it, and if you have an issue with it, then don't play on the server.  Arguing about it and throwing tantrums like this is only going to make people hold on to their views tighter, not listen to you.

This is my actual views, and my views alone.  I don't dislike you Jew, I just really think you need to grow up a bit, and be more respectful.  It's really getting old.

@liam blishwick @Fire Taylor @Ecool1604 @GerryBlackthorn098 @KatherineIsQueen @_Bammm_ @ Jew

Maximilian Arelle
  • Maximilian Arelle
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Administrators
  • 311 posts
  • IGN:Maximilian Arelle

I first was against the year lock. I didn't see the sense in it, due to the fact, that the Y2 classes are not even done and can be taught, so lecture will repeat on an on. And the year lock bind the students to the classes to gain points.

Don't misunderstand me, but after I read, what you all read here and on discord, I changed my mind. Yes, the year lock is acceptable and the reasons for implementing it, are plausible. To be canon was always one of the important things, as far as I can remember, meaning since I joined this server. And to include the roleplay aspect: using magic is tied related to the property of knowing, what you are doing, and why you are able to do it. You learn from the Professors all these things, as long as you listen and don't cry how unfair the world is, when you lose points for breaking class rules.

Correct me, veterans, if I'm wrong, but Knockturn is not founded to make the ppl spell spam in FF. If this would be the intention of the server, building Hogwarts wouldn't have been necessary. Hogwarts is a school and applies a bunch of various classes. The Professors give their best to make the classes interesting. If you feel bored in class, then it is not because the teacher is boring (I know no Professor here, who is boring). If you came on a Harry Potter server to practice spells for... well, for whatever a year 1 boy could ever use it... then I think, you are on the wrong server. Lessons are and will stay an important part of a Hogwarts and are not indispensible on a Hogwarts server.

Additionaly you all had the chance to vote, if this year lock should be implemented. The majority (not me) voted pro year lock. If you you didn't vote and didn't participate the poll, then I don't see, why to complain now, cbecause you missed your chance. It is like the US American election campaign: if you are pro Hillary Clinton, don't participate the poll, then you don't need to complain, when Donald Trump becomes President. That is called Democracy (at this point I apell on you: go vote, if you are old enough ;) )

All in all: the year lock has its place and as long as there is nothing relevant, that states against the year lock, I see no reason to remove it.

(If now something comes like "You as Y7 don't have to say anything, you don't know the problem", then I'm sure, this discussion is more useless, then ever before...)

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

@Maximilian Walcott an additional reason for the year lock is to discourage trolls due to the fact that earning points means not breaking rules.  And you can't advance without earning points with the tier lock.  So this also assists in keeping the server filled with friendlier people who troll less.

SeaaHoney
  • SeaaHoney
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 135 posts
  • IGN:Clove Lestrange

Not to mention the fact that this was, after all, a voted on decision. Majority rules.

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts
  • IGN:Andrew Arima

Okay, I'm going to offer my opinions on this:

First and foremost, I support the Year Lock, be it hard or soft, for one specific reason: We are a role play server. A LOT of people forget that we are a role play server, and as such, it makes perfect sense that a First Year is unable to send someone flying several dozen metres in the air or make them brutally bleed to death. While I understand not liking classes, it's just part of the experience, everyone in Harry Potter had a class they hated, it all goes along with the experience. I support this because it adds to the role play experience, when did Harry or anyone in Hogwarts spend hours casting spells at a wall?

Jew
  • Jew
  • Squib
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • IGN:JewJewish

I first was against the year lock. I didn't see the sense in it, due to the fact, that the Y2 classes are not even done and can be taught, so lecture will repeat on an on. And the year lock bind the students to the classes to gain points.

Don't misunderstand me, but after I read, what you all read here and on discord, I changed my mind. Yes, the year lock is acceptable and the reasons for implementing it, are plausible. To be canon was always one of the important things, as far as I can remember, meaning since I joined this server. And to include the roleplay aspect: using magic is tied related to the property of knowing, what you are doing, and why you are able to do it. You learn from the Professors all these things, as long as you listen and don't cry how unfair the world is, when you lose points for breaking class rules.

Correct me, veterans, if I'm wrong, but Knockturn is not founded to make the ppl spell spam in FF. If this would be the intention of the server, building Hogwarts wouldn't have been necessary. Hogwarts is a school and applies a bunch of various classes. The Professors give their best to make the classes interesting. If you feel bored in class, then it is not because the teacher is boring (I know no Professor here, who is boring). If you came on a Harry Potter server to practice spells for... well, for whatever a year 1 boy could ever use it... then I think, you are on the wrong server. Lessons are and will stay an important part of a Hogwarts and are not indispensible on a Hogwarts server.

Additionaly you all had the chance to vote, if this year lock should be implemented. The majority (not me) voted pro year lock. If you you didn't vote and didn't participate the poll, then I don't see, why to complain now, cbecause you missed your chance. It is like the US American election campaign: if you are pro Hillary Clinton, don't participate the poll, then you don't need to complain, when Donald Trump becomes President. That is called Democracy (at this point I apell on you: go vote, if you are old enough ;) )

All in all: the year lock has its place and as long as there is nothing relevant, that states against the year lock, I see no reason to remove it.

(If now something comes like "You as Y7 don't have to say anything, you don't know the problem", then I'm sure, this discussion is more useless, then ever before...)

just for reference, I did vote. (Soft year lock)

Bella Scarlet
  • Bella Scarlet
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1275 posts
  • IGN:bella

no pande the classes are boring ill stand by my comment saying they are cause ive been on both sides of the table i have been a prof and a student yea you take so much effort to write them im not saying you dont you do but that effort isnt shown once it hits the classroom and they read it out loud cause all teachers do is copy and past it its the same thing over and over and its just whats in the textbook to why go to a class when all u need to do is memorise the textbook go in on testing day bam 20 points without having to go to one class i know ive done that i use to love going to class cause the old teachers use to add stuff to the lesson instead of just copy and paste they would make it a class discussion or make funny comments about parts they diddnt just follow what was infront of them which all the teachers now do just follow the scheduled copy paste copy paste and yea we are a minority but you really think any of the people year 6 up got up years casue they liked class??? no only reason they did it was apparate and to get a huge spell power once you hit year 6 also the most of the people who voted are us high years cause it doesnt affect us so they dont see what it can do to lower people like calnash and gerry who both worked hard for there teirs now cant use them cause year lock i would of been in the same boat if i diddnt want apparate every1 whos year 6 would be in the same boat if they diddnt want apparate now pande im not frowing a tantrum thios is how i truly see whats happend i love this server i use to love classes i love spell spamming and so do alot of other people do but to take it away and force people to do somthing thats not fun is not right thats why i liked the soft lock yea it makes it hard and maybe once your at a certain teir with the soft lock you will have to go to classes so like yr1 t7 make it u cant do anymore spells to yo year up y2 8 and so on yea be super hard to get to those teirs still cause of the soft lock but it doesnt fully screw people over 

Katherine <3
  • Katherine <3
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 145 posts
  • IGN:kathvocado

Ok, so I think everyone supporting the year lock has forgotten the point of this server. Its either that or you people are just babies. I tried to make my point clear on Discord and was trying to make sense of all that was going on. Look, I understand that some of you people are first years or second years (I am a second year myself). Yes, I bet everyone LOVES to cast spells. Its one of the BEST parts of the server! The custom plugin is amazing by the way. But don't whine that you can't spell spam. If you play this server, I think you might have enough experience with the Harry Potter world and Hogwarts. In ALL of HARRY POTTER HISTORY, have you ever seen a character casting spells in the forbidden forest all day? NO! And if you even think about saying yes, don't. Because I know you are lying because in the world of Hogwarts, the forbidden forest was, well, FORBIDDEN! I know, I have seen people spamming stupefy in the forbidden forest and all that stuff. I am not saying spell spamming is the worst thing that happened. I like to spell spam. I see both sides. I, myself, voted for the "soft" year lock because it wasn't all that strict. But the majority took a vote, and they voted HARD YEAR LOCK. If you gather up such a big crowd to support your ideas that you take a vote yourself, then GO for it, because this server is basically a democracy: MAJORITY RULES. And, Jew, Bella, don't say classes are boring and school is boring, okay? Yes, i understand, school in real life may be boring. But doesn't it evoke some sense of joy to be learning about magic? just like Harry Potter did? And I agree with Pande: This lock will encourage less trolls. I look at profiles of people and i see things like -10 housepoints. Why could someone possibly have that little housepoints? They TROLL too much and annoy professors. And if you think classes are boring and the professor is too strict and that junk, its because of TROLLS, LIKE YOU. What do you do with the spells you have? You kill people in the forbidden forest. That's not what these spells were made for. They were made to help people in the server doing ordinary things. If people are encouraged to get house points by this year lock to year up and cast spells, thats a good thing! If the trolls decrease, the professors will not be as strict as they may have been before. The professors are only strict because they have had enough with the IDIOTS who cast spells in class and turn in assignments that are just complete TROLLS. And we can't forget the people who purposefully talk during class and spam /rh and /lh, or the people who just move around class for no reason. And lets not forget the most ANNOYING sounds of them all, BOOK SPAMMERS. Everything I have listed can get points taken away, and these are all annoying things. So if people stop doing these things and want more house points to year up because of the year lock, that will make the proffesors happy. And who knows? Maybe the so called "BORING" proffesors you speak of (which as far as I know, there are none) will no longer be boring. They may even have spirit because there are very little trolls left. SO i really don't see why this is a bad thing. I don't see why you people are getting so overly dramatic about this topic. THE YEAR LOCK IS GREAT! And throwing a tantrum on Discord won't help. So just shut up.

Bob Titan
  • Bob Titan
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • 829 posts
  • IGN:Bob Titan

You contradicted yourself LOL. You said you think the people who want the lock are insane then go and support the lock xD. I assume that it is a typo? xD Idk why but that made my day.

Bella Scarlet
  • Bella Scarlet
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1275 posts
  • IGN:bella

you think it will stop trolls? lol no if anything they will go to classes more to get there spells back if anything you would get more trolls now cause of a year lock a year lock stops people getting higher spells they will want there spells back and we arnt trolls we are normal people on the server dont go saying what we are we arnt trolls and we worked for are spells and i will say the classes are boring cause they are do you want to know exactly what they do they copy paste what they worked hard to make yes making the classes are hard wont say they arnt but teaching them the teachers dont know how to do that its all just copy and paste they dont make it fun and i know ways of making the classes fun cause i did it my self dont go sitting on your high horse saying they are fun thats your opioion and not many agree with that most people will agree they are boring so please dont just see what pande says and yell and try and name us somthing we arnt thank you :) now go back in your corner where you belong thank you

Cris
  • Cris
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 320 posts
  • IGN:Cris Anna Malfoy

you really think any of the people year 6 up got up years casue they liked class??? no only reason they did it was apparate and to get a huge spell power once you hit year 6 also the most of the people who voted are us high years cause it doesnt affect us so they dont see what it can do to lower people like calnash and gerry who both worked hard for there teirs now cant use them cause year lock i would of been in the same boat if i diddnt want apparate every1 whos year 6 would be in the same boat if they diddnt want apparate

Not true for all. Because I, for example, as a Y6, actually liked going to class, and only had a reason to year up when I was getting Y3 for Hogsmeade so I could go to the family apartment. I knew I wouldn't be able to apparate right away if I got Y6, that wasn't the reason. The reason was me wanting to be prefect, letting the already Y5 ones stay the same. 

Cris
  • Cris
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 320 posts
  • IGN:Cris Anna Malfoy

In addition, as a professor, I always try making classes fun (music, the spell casting, etc) it's only not fun for those who insist on misbehaving and, sorta, tho depends on which lecture it is, while the lecture is being taught.

About the year lock in discussion here, I don't think there's much more to say that all these people didn't. My opinion is set, I made the suggestion about it after all.

Maximilian Arelle
  • Maximilian Arelle
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Administrators
  • 311 posts
  • IGN:Maximilian Arelle

@Bella Scaret No, you cannot be stopped by a year lock, Bella xD <3

@ Jew that was not just for you, it was for everyone. I generally value that ppl shall realize how important it is to vote, also, if you have to choose the less evil from two options

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users