Lesson Question

Started by Pandette , Jan 04 2017 02:39 PM

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: lesson length (49 member(s) have cast votes)

How long do you typically prefer for a lesson time?

1. 15 Minutes (7 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

2. 30 Minutes (19 votes [38.78%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.78%

3. 45 Minutes (22 votes [44.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.90%

4. 60 Minutes (1 votes [2.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.04%

5. More than 60 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Less than 15? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

Hey everyone,

I am looking into making the lessons more interesting, so I would like opinions on how long lessons usually last and how long you prefer.  Usually we aim for 45 + mintutes for lessons but perhaps that is too long ?  Perhaps you would prefer shorter lessons but more of them ?

Also in addition I would like to know what type of things you typically like in classes, post this below.

Pandetta

Harry King
  • Harry King
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 175 posts
  • IGN:Harry King

Im placing 15-30 minutes, because i have these sad things called time restrictions, and im only enabled 15-30 minutes a day (cri)

Percy Renshaw
  • Percy Renshaw
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 182 posts
  • IGN:Percy Renshaw

In class, I like it when the professor interacts with the students, so for example if the teacher is about to say a fact, they say "Put your hand up if you think you know this fact" Or something similar. I don't know, I just thing it makes it more fun and enjoyable if the professor does this.

Fancepants
  • Fancepants
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 843 posts
  • IGN:Fance Garland

I think the length of classes be it 1-7 the year needs to be about 20 minutes. Its the sweet spot. A lot of people dont have a lot of time to sit there or they have to leave half way through. The problem I am see is professors can barely interact when they need to dish out this wall of text and students can barely keep up. It makes the experience .. over annoying. Personal opinion of course. When I was professor and I was able to write my lessons I planned the interaction between and if I didint cover every little word it was fine, because in the end the students had fun and thats what matters. 

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

I think the length of classes be it 1-7 the year needs to be about 20 minutes. Its the sweet spot. A lot of people dont have a lot of time to sit there or they have to leave half way through. The problem I am see is professors can barely interact when they need to dish out this wall of text and students can barely keep up. It makes the experience .. over annoying. Personal opinion of course. When I was professor and I was able to write my lessons I planned the interaction between and if I didint cover every little word it was fine, because in the end the students had fun and thats what matters. 

The problem is when you have trouble makers who won't let the class actually start.  Sometimes it can take 20 minutes for the class to even start bc of these people.  Also rules take 10 minutes depending on the professor, then you talk about the quiz at the end thats 5 minutes of lesson total.  In classes like transfiguration where you have rules > practical quiz > lesson > quiz > spell practice > homework that would be less than a minute for the lesson itself.

However, I do agree with the 'don't need every word' however some professors don't know how to interact and they just copy and paste.  I try to make each lesson have pieces missing so the next time you see it its not exactly the same.

MightyThor1198
  • MightyThor1198
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Builder
  • 98 posts
  • IGN:Alex Snow

I think that maybe a few more questions in class would be nice. It would give a chance for more students to gain points without having to go to scribbulus and buy a book and quill. I also like when professors assign homework that isn't writing a story using a certain spell in class, but something that requires research. Like maybe translating spell names from Latin to English to find out their (general) translation. The closer you are to the correct translation, the more points you could get. Although I like the creativity aspect, I feel like writing stories is one of the only types of homework I can find(Although, I've never seen one for HoM or Astronomy. They might, just haven't seen it.) I'm sure transfiguration has something similar to what I mentioned before about Latin, but it is just an example and definitely not the only other thing that could be done. I also love the exams, but I think maybe have a day of classes or a couple of classes before those of exams for just reviewing certain topics. It wouldn't be like doing a full lesson, just asking students what topics they may have questions about or giving quick descriptions lessons students may have missed. Hope that this feedback is useful to your survey :D

Lilly Knight
  • Lilly Knight
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 180 posts
  • IGN:Lilly Knight

I like having classes between 20-35 minutes. It really depends on the class. If it is something like HoM it seems like forever (pls don't hate me, Max, it's just my opinion on History) but if it is something I enjoy, like Charms or Potions, I want the lessons to last a lot longer.

I enjoy it more when there are interactions. I hate it when a Professor spends about five minutes on the rules and questions, then they just stand there and copy-paste a whole blob of text. This makes lessons a lot more boring, and I don't want to spend a lot of time in those ones.

I would enjoy it if the teacher actually interacted with students. I love it when in Flying if we're all good we get to play a game on our brooms. Or, in Charms, if we're good we get to learn a new spell. I also enjoy when they ask quiz questions during the actual lesson. Example: In Charms if we're talking about Mimble Wimble, and he asks if any of us know the inventor.

This is just my opinion

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts
  • IGN:Violetta Arelle

As a professor, I like to have 45+ minutes for a class so I can explain things more in detail, have students ask more questions, or maybe tell a story/fact that relates to the topic. Plus, always looking for more ways to intrigue students in class.

Ecool1604
  • Ecool1604
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Professor
  • 35 posts
  • IGN:Roran [Ecool1604] Spiritus

In class, I like it when the professor interacts with the students, so for example if the teacher is about to say a fact, they say "Put your hand up if you think you know this fact" Or something similar. I don't know, I just thing it makes it more fun and enjoyable if the professor does this.

I really enjoy things like this as well. It makes the class more life-like and engages students more so they don't virtually doze off.

EHari
  • EHari
  • Squib
  • Administrators
  • 29 posts
  • IGN:Hari Green

For classes that are more lecture oriented, I'd prefer shorter. Especially so i could sneak in for some exp before helping a newb. For more potentially active classes, I'd love a longer class if there was more activities. 

Admittedly the only classes I really attend are the ones where there is already a lot more interaction. Brewing classes or transfiguration are pretty much the only classes I'll attend (partly because helper duties) but also because there's a lot more action than sitting. One exception would probably be MT with Gracen because she's lovely and her classes tend to be fun.

Things I really like.

More time to cast. I love transfig for this. Start class with a casting quiz, end with spell practice. It'd be nice to see more of such things in other classes, just perhaps in different ways.

• Charms did a lovely casting game once that was fused with a quiz. Professor asked a question, the house that answered and got it right, was allowed to cast a spell (I think maybe Baubillious) on the rest of the houses. Student were then healed before the next question was asked.
  • For Dada for example (later years due to tier restrictions), I think it'd be lovely to have classes where someone casts a jinx or hex and the have a partner either cast the counter or protego. It helps teach how to deal with a situation where someone's casting on you. And for rp purposes, would be a form of teaching how to counter in a duel.

Brewing classes - pretty self explanatory. Again more active than sitting.

• I'm hoping in later year classes, part of herbology will be spent actually going through the rearing process or a plant or two.

Include us in a story or theory.

• Gracen did a lovely job of this that really made learning about Gamp's laws hilarious and fun. She'd call up a random student and make them the main character temporarily, weaving them into a story where each broke a law (and was punished), and had another student attempt to free them. It was fun and still taught the lesson.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

For classes that are more lecture oriented, I'd prefer shorter. Especially so i could sneak in for some exp before helping a newb. For more potentially active classes, I'd love a longer class if there was more activities. 

Admittedly the only classes I really attend are the ones where there is already a lot more interaction. Brewing classes or transfiguration are pretty much the only classes I'll attend (partly because helper duties) but also because there's a lot more action than sitting. One exception would probably be MT with Gracen because she's lovely and her classes tend to be fun.

Things I really like.

More time to cast. I love transfig for this. Start class with a casting quiz, end with spell practice. It'd be nice to see more of such things in other classes, just perhaps in different ways.

• Charms did a lovely casting game once that was fused with a quiz. Professor asked a question, the house that answered and got it right, was allowed to cast a spell (I think maybe Baubillious) on the rest of the houses. Student were then healed before the next question was asked.
  • For Dada for example (later years due to tier restrictions), I think it'd be lovely to have classes where someone casts a jinx or hex and the have a partner either cast the counter or protego. It helps teach how to deal with a situation where someone's casting on you. And for rp purposes, would be a form of teaching how to counter in a duel.

Brewing classes - pretty self explanatory. Again more active than sitting.

• I'm hoping in later year classes, part of herbology will be spent actually going through the rearing process or a plant or two.

Include us in a story or theory.

• Gracen did a lovely job of this that really made learning about Gamp's laws hilarious and fun. She'd call up a random student and make them the main character temporarily, weaving them into a story where each broke a law (and was punished), and had another student attempt to free them. It was fun and still taught the lesson.

Oh man I wanna have a brewing class eventually where you take a poison at beginning and need to brew the antidote by the end.

EHari
  • EHari
  • Squib
  • Administrators
  • 29 posts
  • IGN:Hari Green

Oh man I wanna have a brewing class eventually where you take a poison at beginning and need to brew the antidote by the end.

I have never wanted something as badly as this xD This should be a brewing exam!

Fireguardian123
  • Fireguardian123
  • Muggle
  • Student
  • 7 posts
  • IGN:Fire Hill

I like it when in classes the students do more hands on stuff instead of listening to the proffesor talk about what it is. Say instead of just learning the history behind a charms spell a learn a bit about the history then everyone has some time to practice the spell a bit. I get that in some classes you cant do that so well like in astronamy but that would be nice to see more of.

Annnub
  • Annnub
  • Builder
  • 523 posts
  • IGN:App Ellis

Say instead of just learning the history behind a charms spell a learn a bit about the history then everyone has some time to practice the spell a bit. 

They do cast the spell in class, its a bit of History then casting.

Viøletta
  • Viøletta
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 307 posts
  • IGN:Violetta Arelle

@EHari Fabulous ideas, definitely will take it into consideration. c; Thank you for giving an idea of what you'd like to see!

Annnub
  • Annnub
  • Builder
  • 523 posts
  • IGN:App Ellis

We need this o-o So, so badly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users