Poll: Potions Classes and the way they work.

Started by Crane , Jan 29 2017 10:53 PM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: Potions Classes and the way they work. (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Changing Practical Potions lessons to appear more RP-friendly

1. Yes (26 votes [83.87%])

Percentage of vote: 83.87%

2. No (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

3. I don't care, I can't even brew Honey Water. (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

Changing Theoretical Potions lessons to appear more RP-friendly

1. Yes (26 votes [83.87%])

Percentage of vote: 83.87%

2. No (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. I want to still earn points while being AFk so keep it that way (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Crane
  • Crane
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

So, I came with a proposal to change a little about potion classes.

Currently they are very descriptive and the recipes for potions are basically cut into stone tablets and shoved in your faces to do EXACTLY as we say.

I find that annoying and having to capitalize the word CAULDRON because students miss it is not really something I like.
Therefore I propose that rather than those very strict guides we make the lessons more fluent, more roleplay-like.

Example:
Put the Salamander Blood in the top of the BREWING STAND with the Red Wiggenweld Potion underneath
Now there should be an Orange Unfinished and Red Unfinished Potion.

To something like this:
With the Red potion in the brewing stand, add a pinch of salamander blood to the top. It should now turn orange.

It will make potion classes a lot nicer to be in but it will also potentially confuse more.
I would be willing to see more people fail in order to achieve some more roleplay aspects but go ahead and vote.

Furthermore I am starting to not include Quizzes in my lectures.
There is something about doing a 30m class and having a quiz where the people who can copy my sentences the most gets rewarded that makes me sick.
I will be somewhat asking wuestions about the subject and lessons as we go along, to turn it more into a discussion where the class learns as a whole and where you need to be prepared and know your material in order to earn points.
I hope this will get more people interested in Potions as a whole but also give a more real feeling to it rather than

"Yes I did indeed say this 2 minutes ago, hue hue 2 points to Ravenclaw for this person being able to scroll up and copy it word for word!"

PinkiePurples
  • PinkiePurples
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 472 posts
  • IGN:Pinkie Schoenheit

I like this idea, it would indeed make the server feel more canon. Only thing is that it might be slightly more confusing for people who are new to brewing potions? That might be just me, but other than that I really like this idea!

Crane
  • Crane
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

Just to clarify, the second question is just for others to see what you guys like/dislike.
I have already made up my mind and while it requires a lot of more of me, it is also a more dynamic class. something I missed greatly for theory lessons.

EHari
  • EHari
  • Squib
  • Administrators
  • 29 posts
  • IGN:Hari Green

Kind of agreeing with Zoe on this. To a new brewer, this will be a hard transition. Hard enough with stone slab reading!

What if for first year you kept it as is. Stone slab reading. Just so they learn how to brew potions in general. If possible, in 2nd yr maybe slowly introduce the new method. Suddenly changing it is also gonna be hard to follow. Especially for players transcribing the recipe for their own notes :P

I think for 2+ you could start going with more rp style teaching tho.

Theory classes, I think that's a lovely idea~ Gives reason for helpers recommend newbs to buy the Potions book too.

Thalli Take
  • Thalli Take
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 227 posts
  • IGN:bagged_milk

I can also see where it would be confusing but I'm pretty sure I would be able to understand it. Maybe before each lesson you could say something such as: "Any potion that results that does not fit my description should be kept until you need it, and if you do not have the potion that I say should result then you did it wrong." Basically, whatever you say they're supposed to have after you say the step is the thing they should be using next, anything else they should set aside for the time being or leave it where it is. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users