Origin of Your Name

Started by Rose , Apr 08 2016 02:22 AM

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Why did you pick your name? (73 member(s) have cast votes)

Why did you choose your (first) name in Knockturn?

1. It's my name in real life. (18 votes [20.93%])

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

2. It's a name from Harry Potter. (6 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

3. It's a name from a different TV show/book/movie I enjoy. (10 votes [11.63%])

Percentage of vote: 11.63%

4. I wish it was my name. (8 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

5. To honor someone I love/admire. (8 votes [9.30%])

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

6. I just made it up. (20 votes [23.26%])

Percentage of vote: 23.26%

7. It sounds cool. (16 votes [18.60%])

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Rose
  • Rose
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 117 posts
  • IGN:Rose Schoenheit

I hope this posts...I've never posted a poll before.

I'm just wondering the reason(s) why people on here have picked the first names they did.  There are so many really interesting ones!

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts
  • IGN:Andrew Arima

It's my actual first name, I was originally going to be White, but I thought I didn't want to hide my name. :)

Richela
  • Richela
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 885 posts
  • IGN:Richela

It's my actual middle name, but not first name.

(And for anyone wondering, it's actually pronounced Rickeyla, not Richella or how it looks)

SeaaHoney
  • SeaaHoney
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 135 posts
  • IGN:Clove Lestrange

The name Clover just popped up in my head but I thought it would sound a little too silly/childish...

I then decided if I removed the "R" it would not be.

lol.

Cora
  • Cora
  • Student
  • 738 posts
  • IGN:Cora Prion // Corah

Cora is actually my nickname on various sites. I originally got the name from a book series (Warrior Cats, ofc), in which there was a female character named "Cora". I fell in love with the character and the name, and soon used in my online life. I think the first time I recall using it was a nickname on a server I was running at the time.

Sorry, did you expect more than a geeky Warrior Cats origin? o:

Malia SHSL Memelord
  • Malia SHSL Memelord
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 212 posts
  • IGN:Malia McGonagall

bcos its my irl name

Crane
  • Crane
  • Administrators
  • 743 posts
  • IGN:Liam Blishwick

It's my actual middle name, but not first name.

(And for anyone wondering, it's actually pronounced Rickeyla, not Richella or how it looks)

*Rucola

Yes, she is a salad

Also, Liam because I like Irish names and stuff and one of my favorite musicians is called Liam :P

Kitty
  • Kitty
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 309 posts
  • IGN:Kitteh [Kitteh01] Starling

Because I'm secretly a cat *meows* :3

Veara Titan
  • Veara Titan
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 403 posts
  • IGN:Veara Titan / Veara_

Chose my name because of a band I like <3 Their band name is amazing xD I just use it as my name now on servers and some online accounts :3

Adiduss
  • Adiduss
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 133 posts
  • IGN:Hayden Song/River Potter

River is my preferred name irl and I'm not abundantly creative so it's usually what I use online, unless I use Melody or Emily, but those two happen a lot less

TheStartreker
  • TheStartreker
  • Student
  • 771 posts
  • IGN:Star Thestral Holmes

Im Star because my username is TheStartreker, and on another server, it only took about 3 days until everyone called me "Star" and then I asked for a nickname in chat, thus creating ~Star. The ~ before the name showed it was a nickname :D People I know IRL might even call me Star every now and then XD And that = Star.

JazzyLINDA
  • JazzyLINDA
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • IGN:Zelda Lockhart

Well at the time, I was JazzyZelsa. Orginally My name was ZeldaLady then to JazzyZelda. Everyone of my friends that I joined with called me Zelda so just to make things simple, I named myself Zelda. I'm thinking about changing my name to "Jazzy" because that's all anyone knows me by anymore. Well except a select few that actually call me by Zelda.

_breezeblocks_
  • _breezeblocks_
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1231 posts
  • IGN:Tessa Malamius

i was gonna name myself astrid, but tessa is my irl name, so i was like, i'm tired of being called fake names. so, tessa was born. i was almost astrid rose, or maybe even serena rose. kinda funny.

Pearl
  • Pearl
  • Muggle
  • Student
  • 5 posts
  • IGN:Pearl Gray

Pearl is my middle name, I wish I did my first name, Kaitlyn though. I'm mostly called Pearl on things because its the name I use for everything. 

Lily Malfoy
  • Lily Malfoy
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 35 posts
  • IGN:Athenais17

Lily, because one of my best friends, and cousin, is named Lily irl, and I did it for her :D. But I might change my name to Katie because Lily seems to be very popular xD.

Thalli Take
  • Thalli Take
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 227 posts
  • IGN:bagged_milk

Originally I wanted to be a sort of Bellatrix person. It's actually funny because several months before hearing about Knockturn I had come up with the roleplay name for myself: Bellatrix Nymphadora White. Then I quit thinking about Harry Potter stuff for a short time. Knockturn gave me my last name (Which is actually White, and the third and final choice for a name that the server gave me) after I chose a simple Bella. After hearing about all the different Bellas on the server, especially the Hufflepuff ones that quickly confused me and possibly some others, I decided to get a new name out of one of my favorite books. Thallium is a deadly element and is also the name of a girl named Thalli, who was described by the book titles as first an anomaly, a luminary, and finally a revolutionary. For my last name, I had been thinking about creating a story about two girls named Nessa and Dromeda Take. Take was based off of the name Took from The Lord of the Rings, and the name Tonks. Harry Potter has also added to this by introducing my love for languages, especially Latin, French, and Spanish. This is why I have a sword called Ignis II (Meaning Luminary in Latin, and II because I wanted to re-enchant my sword) and also why my username is SomeLatinRoot. Thanks for your time. Soon I will make a post or something with more on who Thalli Take is.  :)

Andrew Longbottom
  • Andrew Longbottom
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 115 posts
  • IGN:AndrewIsAPenguin

I used my real name because I figured if I used a fake name I'd probably never respond to people trying to talk to me. If I'd chosen a fake name, I'd probably use something from a comic book or tv show. Maybe Oz. 

Rose
  • Rose
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 117 posts
  • IGN:Rose Schoenheit

I'm really surprised how many people have chosen to use their real names!  

When I signed in for the first time, it only briefly crossed my mind to use my real first name.  My first name is very common, and I was afraid there would be too many on the server already.  (This later turned out to be somewhat correct, as my first name is Kelley, which is very similar to the surname Kelly on the server.)

Then I considered my middle name, but decided against it too.  

I finally decided upon Rose, a religious name I adopted years ago.  It's a simple, pretty name that represents a someone I admire and idolize.

Griffinpuff12
  • Griffinpuff12
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Student
  • 3831 posts
  • IGN:Lyra Bennett

Woo hoo, Golden Compass. :D And one of my cats. :3

Meow_Magic
  • Meow_Magic
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 127 posts
  • IGN:Meow Scarlet

My name is because when making Minecraft account i was like 'what goes with magic?' Then Meow popped in my head. So tech on any other games Magic is supposed to be a last name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users