• This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

TheStartreker
  • TheStartreker
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Student
  • 771 posts
  • IGN:Star Thestral Holmes

So today at AROUND 7:30 ISH Pm Eastern Time, I was in the forest at Hagrid's Hut, where I overheard Josh Dun saying something about 'assault' I went over and snuck up behind him and casted Vicis Vulpes as what I thought at the time was a joke. I had earlier been in a small dispute with Josh, and being what many people think of as a stupid 12 year old, I basically forgot about it. SO I casted a joking Vicis At him, he Expelliarmused me and took my good wand, and then put down an Incendio, and at the time I thought he was pretending to throw my wand in but he apparently threw it in. That was my Mahogany wand with around 17000 Casts on it, Ive had it for maybe 10-11 months now. I then tried to cast Vicis on him again, he took my Back-up Alder wand, maybe like 300 Casts on it. So I just wanted to report this because Professor Josh Dun thought it would be a dandy Idea to take a Student's Wand and throw it in a fire in front of them. My Alder wand was later returned to me, but I am asking for my Mahogany Wand back, even though it was not lost with an inventory glitch. Thank you all very much for taking your time to read this, Ciao.

-Star

FroschThink
  • FroschThink
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 205 posts
  • IGN:Josh Dun

Spells

The casting of spells on any individual that does not wish it will result in loss of points, kicking or banning.  You are absolutely not allowed to cast spells on anyone who does not wish it.  You should always ask beforehand.

An exception to this rule is inside the Forbidden Forest. Here casting spells IS allowed and cannot be punished.

This happened in the forbidden forest. As multiple staff members have agreed with me, once a wand is taken by expelliarmus, it is now owned by the one who cast it. I had a right to throw it in the fire as it was then, technically, my wand.

Gareott Rimma
  • Gareott Rimma
  • Student
  • 614 posts
  • IGN:Gareott Rimma / 1toughninja

Spells

The casting of spells on any individual that does not wish it will result in loss of points, kicking or banning.  You are absolutely not allowed to cast spells on anyone who does not wish it.  You should always ask beforehand.

An exception to this rule is inside the Forbidden Forest. Here casting spells IS allowed and cannot be punished.

This happened in the forbidden forest. As multiple staff members have agreed with me, once a wand is taken by expelliarmus, it is now owned by the one who cast it. I had a right to throw it in the fire as it was then, technically, my wand.

i believe you are correct

Kat Kirkland
  • Kat Kirkland
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 451 posts
  • IGN:Kat [KneeCapDeleter] Weasley

Spells

The casting of spells on any individual that does not wish it will result in loss of points, kicking or banning. You are absolutely not allowed to cast spells on anyone who does not wish it. You should always ask beforehand.

An exception to this rule is inside the Forbidden Forest. Here casting spells IS allowed and cannot be punished.

Sorry, Star. Josh has a valid point- it IS allowed in the forbidden forest- and that's where this took place.
{I watched it happen}

PinkiePurples
  • PinkiePurples
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 472 posts
  • IGN:Pinkie Schoenheit

I do agree with both sides here, Josh was allowed to burn the wand, and Star was allowed to attack. But was it nessesarry to burn the wand? Star wasn't doing anything that bad enough for you to burn her wand. I think Josh's actions fall under the "General Jerkiness" rule for multiple reasons. One for trolling with people's stuff, another for some of this being outside the Forbidden forest, and taking it to Global at one point. Overall, Josh's actions were in my opinion, too harsh, for Star.

Bella Scarlet
  • Bella Scarlet
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1275 posts
  • IGN:bella

no its not aloud it does not say anywhere your aloud to *STEAL* and burn that is against the rules and he was not even in the forrest he was at hagrids which is not aloud and the wand is still owned by star homes read the wand it will never be owned by any1 else but his what he did is stealing its never owned by him even if he uses a spell to get it it will not be his will always be stars he baught it it is his what he did STEALING which is a temp ban 

Kat Kirkland
  • Kat Kirkland
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 451 posts

no its not aloud it does not say anywhere your aloud to *STEAL* and burn that is against the rules and he was not even in the forrest he was at hagrids which is not aloud and the wand is still owned by star homes read the wand it will never be owned by any1 else but his what he did is stealing its never owned by him even if he uses a spell to get it it will not be his will always be stars he baught it it is his what he did STEALING which is a temp ban

There was a whole deal about this in chat, and it was determined it is allowed if it's by casting in the forbidden forest. It shocked some people but it is sadly true.

Bella Scarlet
  • Bella Scarlet
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1275 posts

in forbidden forrest......... he was at hagrids.......... and what admin or smart staff would agree with that ........ dont make somthing up to protect josh from stealing

FroschThink
  • FroschThink
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 205 posts

Bella, it is a spell. If it wasn't meant to be used to disarm someone's wand, then why was it added? Hagrid's Hut (if you fly up and look) is in the middle of the forbidden forest, actually. Thus, it is still the forbidden forest. It is also not stealing because as said before, multiple staff members agreed that it is then my wand. Therefore, I have the right. It may have been harsh, but it certainly is not stealing.

Gareott Rimma
  • Gareott Rimma
  • Student
  • 614 posts

Guys if it was said In game that it is allowed then why are you arguing here about it

FroschThink
  • FroschThink
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 205 posts

Guys if it was said In game that it is allowed then why are you arguing here about it

Because, clearly, not everyone knows when to stop after told it's allowed.

Kat Kirkland
  • Kat Kirkland
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 451 posts

in forbidden forrest......... he was at hagrids.......... and what admin or smart staff would agree with that ........ dont make somthing up to protect josh from stealing

I'm not making up a story to protect Josh, this literally was talked about right before the event happened.
Edit:
Also, as Josh said, Hagrid's hut is in the middle of the forbidden forest- thus being technically Hagrid's Hut

Bella Scarlet
  • Bella Scarlet
  • Court Scribe
  • Student
  • 1275 posts

then the whole staff is not smart if u read a wand it says its owned by star not u not anyone else a spell cant take the right of ownaship of a wand that is not how it works so buying a wand and working hard on it so a simple spell takes there right of ownership away from them no dont make up rules to cover stealing stealing is stealing what u did is stealing ill go against all staff here what if some1 did that to you i bet ya you would call it stealing

FroschThink
  • FroschThink
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 205 posts

then the whole staff is not smart if u read a wand it says its owned by star not u not anyone else a spell cant take the right of ownaship of a wand that is not how it works so buying a wand and working hard on it so a simple spell takes there right of ownership away from them no dont make up rules to cover stealing stealing is stealing what u did is stealing ill go against all staff here what if some1 did that to you i bet ya you would call it stealing

Actually, no, I wouldn't call it stealing as it was said, it is not. The server does not run off of your rules. I am merely just stating the facts which are said in the fancy section of the forums called "Rules" under the thread known as "Main World Rules."

"Spells

An exception to this rule is inside the Forbidden Forest. Here casting spells IS allowed and cannot be punished."

Gareott Rimma
  • Gareott Rimma
  • Student
  • 614 posts

Can you guys STOP Arguing

Seph
  • Seph
  • O.W.L. Student
  • Student
  • 152 posts
  • IGN:Seph Prion

... No. Yes, casting Expelliarmus on people in the Forbidden Forest is allowed, however, the fact that he stole Star's wand and did not give it back, instead burning it, is on a whole different level. 

Star's wand was originally her property, 17,000 casts on that wand. Just because Josh stole the wand, this does not mean it is now his, and that he has the right to burn it, completely erasing Star's progress on that particular wand. Although the Spells Rule says that casting on others in the Forbidden Forest is acceptable, nowhere does it say that stealing is allowed within that rule. 

This is one of those cases where two rules argue against each other. I stand by the Stealing Rule being superior to the Spells Rule. Yes, Expelliarmus has the power to steal wands, and that abides by the Spells Rule allowing Josh to cast it on Star. 

However, once Josh cast it on Star and took his wand, the spell's effect is complete. Now, from this point on, Josh still has Star's wand. He has her property. Nowhere does it officially say that once a person has someone else's wand due to a spell's effect, it is considered their property. That part was determined by a small number of Staff. If you want this officially stated, a scheduled Staff meeting, where the majority, if not all, should be there to discuss this issue. 

Star bought her own wand. It does not say that the wand belongs to Josh Dun. Have any of you actually empathized with Star? What if I took your wands, and burned all of it there on the spot,  right in front of you? Would you still say that I had the right to take your wand, not give it back, and burn it? I am absolutely appalled that some of the Staff members agreed with Josh's reasoning. 

I strongly conclude that Josh's actions were way over the line. 

"Stealing

Stealing someone else's items in the main world is prohibited.  This can include going somewhere and taking their things from a chest or killing someone and taking their things.  You are absolutely not allowed to do either in the main world and any such manners will result in loss of house points, being kicked, or being banned.  Remember, we have coreprotect and can determine the culprit so make our lives easier, and just don't do it."

Gareott Rimma
  • Gareott Rimma
  • Student
  • 614 posts

guys so from what i know from Harry Potter if someone Cast's Expelliarmus on you They DONT have to give you back your wand also 

it was said that staff in game said

Spells

PinkiePurples
  • PinkiePurples
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 472 posts

It was stated that it is allowed, yes, but I'm talking about this topic falling other rules on the server. I was not arguing that it wasn't allowed in my defense against Star at all.

PinkiePurples
  • PinkiePurples
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 472 posts

... No. Yes, casting Expelliarmus on people in the Forbidden Forest is allowed, however, the fact that he stole Star's wand and did not give it back, instead burning it, is on a whole different level. 

Star's wand was originally her property, 17,000 casts on that wand. Just because Josh stole the wand, this does not mean it is now his, and that he has the right to burn it, completely erasing Star's progress on that particular wand. Although the Spells Rule says that casting on others in the Forbidden Forest is acceptable, nowhere does it say that stealing is allowed within that rule. 

This is one of those cases where two rules argue against each other. I stand by the Stealing Rule being superior to the Spells Rule. Yes, Expelliarmus has the power to steal wands, and that abides by the Spells Rule allowing Josh to cast it on Star. 

However, once Josh cast it on Star and took his wand, the spell's effect is complete. Now, from this point on, Josh still has Star's wand. He has her property. Nowhere does it officially say that once a person has someone else's wand due to a spell's effect, it is considered their property. That part was determined by a small number of Staff. If you want this officially stated, a scheduled Staff meeting, where the majority, if not all, should be there to discuss this issue. 

Star bought her own wand. It does not say that the wand belongs to Josh Dun. Have any of you actually empathized with Star? What if I took your wands, and burned all of it there on the spot,  right in front of you? Would you still say that I had the right to take your wand, not give it back, and burn it? I am absolutely appalled that some of the Staff members agreed with Josh's reasoning. 

I strongly conclude that Josh's actions were way over the line. 

"Stealing

Stealing someone else's items in the main world is prohibited.  This can include going somewhere and taking their things from a chest or killing someone and taking their things.  You are absolutely not allowed to do either in the main world and any such manners will result in loss of house points, being kicked, or being banned.  Remember, we have coreprotect and can determine the culprit so make our lives easier, and just don't do it."

I completely agree with this, and can argue with it.

Aquilonn
  • Aquilonn
  • Wizengamot
  • 5668 posts
  • IGN:Andrew Arima

I see where both sides are coming from and frankly, they both make valid points. This is a pretty grey area as nothing is explicitly stated regarding the theft of someone's wand using Expelliarmus.

Here is my opinion on this:
Expelliarmus is a spell obviously that can take someone's wand. However, for the most part, the wand will still say it belongs to the original owner. Notice I say most cases. This has a very low chance of happening, but if a wand's allegiance is low enough, a wand may change to the user of the spell if Expelliarmus is used. So where does this fall? I think that if the wand allegiance did in fact change, then it would at this point be Josh's property and he is free to do as he wishes. But presumably, as the wand did not change allegiance, I think taking the wand and burning it should not be allowed, as it is still the property of the victim. All in all, this issue needs to get a conclusive answer on whether this is allowed as this will no doubt not be the last time we hear of an issue surrounding Expelliarmus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users