• This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Shadow
  • Shadow
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 282 posts
  • IGN:Shadow Blishen

Well, since some staff dislike answering FAQ questions, and there are stubborn people who never seem to be capable enough of going on a website to read it. *sigh* What if Emmae also had the capabilities to answer those questions? That's really it for this one.

Psychodynamic
  • Psychodynamic
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Student
  • 94 posts
  • IGN:Josh Anderson

I support this idea, however your statement about staff not willing to answer FAQ questions is untrue.

Shadow
  • Shadow
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 282 posts

I support this idea, however your statement about staff not willing to answer FAQ questions is untrue.

Woops. I'll fix that. I know a couple staff that do though.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

The problem with Emmae answering FAQ questions is that not everyone phrases it exactly like that and doing this is very complex & if the regex for it is slightly off it could be triggered by anything.  Adding more and more things she responds to can result in emmae spamming the server, and for that reason i am not going to be adding a whole ton of stuff.  Classes is already a bit of a problem atm where she respond when it isn't actually a question.  I know it sounds like a good idea of artificial intelligence is not as easy as saying look at this and what it means.

Fancepants
  • Fancepants
  • Chief of the Wizards Council
  • Administrators
  • 843 posts
  • IGN:Fance Garland

How about if you code Emmae to understand the term FAQ this way when we say Read the FAQ on our site she sends them a personal link to it or posts it in chat. Might resolve a bit of our problems  if its not to complicated to do.

Nomsy
  • Nomsy
  • Developer
  • Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • IGN:Nomsy Savage

You guys would assume it would be easier for you, but it's kind of a part of your job as Moderators to handle this stuff, not an automated system. Otherwise we would have no need to mods if we could just automate ALL the things! #BenderRules3015

Plus the regular expressions just for this one could be bad and just constantly spam when the word or acronym 'FAQ' was uttered. Which could lead to malicious users spamming it for fun.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

In addition Emmae cannot send private messages.  She is not on the minecraft server & can only send irc messages.

Nomsy
  • Nomsy
  • Developer
  • Administrators
  • 242 posts
  • IGN:Nomsy Savage

Even if she did, how annoying would it be if a user typed the word FAQ and got a private message? If a staff would say 'Look at the \bFAQ\  on the website" then that staff would be sent a private message. After a while y'all would have us disable it anyway. :P

Shadow
  • Shadow
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • Student
  • 282 posts

Oh okay. I didn't realize about how spammy and annoying this would become. That's ok.

Requesting Thread Lock (Is that a thing?)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Server

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users