• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

SelfieSheep
  • SelfieSheep
  • N.E.W.T. Student
  • 204 posts
  • IGN:Oliver Roberts

Hello.
I entered a class yesterday which was taught by Alex Schnee.
I had just barely missed the guide, so I rushed to get there. I entered 1 minutes after the class had started and quickly sat down. However I realized after a friend wrote to me about 30 seconds later that we were grouped by Houses, so I ran to mine, obviously.
Alex then proceeded to kick me immediately, giving no prior warning or anything, as I am pretty sure is stated in the Professor rules.As far as I am aware kicking is only used as a last resort against disobedient students, not just as a way of punishing those who try to make it in time for class and cause the least amount of disturbance.

I of cause confronted him and he stated that he did not care about "nothing late until 15 minutes" which then leads to his reason for kicking me:

He had given the class 6 prior warnings and felt that it was the right thing to do to kick me as well as the student who was apparently the issue.

He kicked me "when I decided to sit in a place where it was obvious you shouldn't, etc etc" which is not even remotely close to any decent reasoning to me. I did my best and was given no instructions by him nor by anyone else except my fellow student Idan.

Then he told me that I chose the "wrong seat twice, just stop whining about it. Pande wouldn't take this, neither should I" and disconnected immediately after.

To me this indicates a professor who is not capable of judging nor keeping his calm when confronted with what he must obviously have realized is a very bad call.

I hope that this can be dealt with in some way, as this behaviour is far form what I would imagine a member of the staff should show.

I have looked through my logs as I didn't get screenshots of everything, the complete dialog is attached here.

Best Regards. 
Oliver.

Spoiler

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Special Advisor to the Wizengamot
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts
  • IGN:iarepandemonium

@Alex Schnee

Are you following the professor guidelines?

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

Rule #3: Moving in Class

This is for any movement in class that involves leaving the desk, jumping repetitively, or being a general nuisance.

1. Warning

2. Loss of 1-2 points

3. Kick from class

Note this is not for a general populace but for an individual user.  I would hope that I didn't need to make this stuff clear.

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

Additionally you don't kick people for being late.  You close the class and if they are late they don't enter.  Kicking people is a punishment, if you neglect to close that class that is an error on your part not theirs.  You must always assume idiocy or misinformation when dealing with students and therefore always give them the benefit of the doubt since if they are ill informed they have no mens rea to break the rules in the first place.  Don't use class kick just to prove a point.  If you don't want people joining your class after 15 minutes, close the class after the rules and be done with it.  Unless someone is moving around with 100% intention of breaking the rules and disrupting class you should not be kicking them.

MightyThor1198
  • MightyThor1198
  • Witch/Wizard
  • Builder
  • 98 posts
  • IGN:Alex Snow

1: Not due to late, I close my class at 15 minutes.

2: Wish I new 1-2 points because heck people would lose 5 points in my class and still not get kicked and interrupt the class much.

3: He copied what I said and made a point about it. And it was to mainly prove I mean business and what I did was not wise on my thinking. I could come up with many reasons why I was that way, but even though true they mean almost nothing to it.

Yes, I told hi to be quiet. But I was trying to teach, and none of us like to be messaged during being taught. In fact, a lot of staff are annoyed in general to be messaged. 

Also, I can see that he said things about my teaching. But just so you know this Oliver, you might not have been taught by anyone else. If I didn't teach that morning at all, not one class would probably have happened until at least 12. I had seen a few professor who were saying they were going to teach, yet I left the server only to be hearing Nomsy say," Someone should be teaching", and see that in the past four hours nobody had taught, even though I had not only seen many professors on teamspeak after my class, but said they were going to teach at around an hour and a half from when my class started.

In the long run, Oliver, I do hope when you attend my classes(yes, I know i was my fault that he judged) you re evaluate my teaching. Especially when many professors teach very similarly to myself. At the time, you were a bit of a nuisance to  me. When I got on ts, Nomsy said"Mighty, you're in trouble" with his usual unknown emotion voice that tends to sound pleased, although usually sarcastically pleasd, I don't think of this as me being in trouble as much as me learning something important to advance. to learn something, you must not know it at first. And getting something wrong is the best way to learn. 

Pandette
  • Pandette
  • Administrators
  • 2648 posts

1: Not due to late, I close my class at 15 minutes.
2: Wish I new 1-2 points because heck people would lose 5 points in my class and still not get kicked and interrupt the class much.
3: He copied what I said and made a point about it. And it was to mainly prove I mean business and what I did was not wise on my thinking. I could come up with many reasons why I was that way, but even though true they mean almost nothing to it.

Yes, I told hi to be quiet. But I was trying to teach, and none of us like to be messaged during being taught. In fact, a lot of staff are annoyed in general to be messaged.

Also, I can see that he said things about my teaching. But just so you know this Oliver, you might not have been taught by anyone else. If I didn't teach that morning at all, not one class would probably have happened until at least 12. I had seen a few professor who were saying they were going to teach, yet I left the server only to be hearing Nomsy say," Someone should be teaching", and see that in the past four hours nobody had taught, even though I had not only seen many professors on teamspeak after my class, but said they were going to teach at around an hour and a half from when my class started.

In the long run, Oliver, I do hope when you attend my classes(yes, I know i was my fault that he judged) you re evaluate my teaching. Especially when many professors teach very similarly to myself. At the time, you were a bit of a nuisance to me. When I got on ts, Nomsy said"Mighty, you're in trouble" with his usual unknown emotion voice that tends to sound pleased, although usually sarcastically pleasd, I don't think of this as me being in trouble as much as me learning something important to advance. to learn something, you must not know it at first. And getting something wrong is the best way to learn.

Mighty you need to relax. Nomsy was not trying to be mean he was joking. Not everyone is out to get you, in fact 9/10 you assume someone is trying to be mean when they are just trying to be friendly and as a result, they stop being friendly. Relax your butt and assume people are innocent before assuming guilty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users